Friday, August 19, 2011

JAWS!



Any help out there from the blogging world on stopping a child from biting? We are in the thick of it right now trying to teach Ellie that biting is not nice. She had a bad incident at school last week where she bit the same child (her BFF) twice in one day - the last time being a "bad bite" - he still has a bruise a week later. I feel TERRIBLE as the mother of the biter. Fortunately for us, we are friends with her BFF and they have been more than understanding.

I feel like we've tried everything... biting her back, spanking, a stern "no" and explaining we only bite our food - not people, etc... She was on the receiving end a few months back so I thought she'd for sure know how it felt. Her teachers have been wonderful and encouraging. She's not the only biter in the classroom, but that doesn't matter to me. Our other issue is that she only bites at school... not at church, not in playgroups, not when we're with nieces and nephews... only school!

I pray every day before I drop her off and pick her up that she won't back... I am on pins and needles walking down the hall each afternoon PRAYING we get a "no bite" report from her teacher. Please pass along any ideas! We have received good reports all week!

2 comments:

  1. Don't have any experience with this yet (though I'm sure it's in our future), but Benton loves the "Don't Bite Your Friends" Yo Gabba Gabba song. I'm hoping it sticks with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Porter was/is a biter. Mostly at school, but a few times at home. We were pretty much out of ideas too. We finally made an impression several months ago. We told his teacher that I he bit, to take him immediately to the director's office and make him stay there. His teacher was to call me or Jared immediately and he had to wait until we got there. We had a little talk with him, spanked him, and then left. It worked well because it scared the crap out of him when he was removed from his classroom and had to sit in the office, but the worst was when jared spanked him and then left. That broke his little heart to see his daddy and think he was going home, and then just get a spanking and then get left. He didn't bite at school anymore for a long long time. It has recently resurfaced, and we may have to repeat it. Luckily, I work really close and can drop what I'm doing sometimes, but at the time Jared was off 2 days a week and could just sit and wait for the call. On the bright side, at least we have spunky children that will fend for themselves, right?!?! ;) good luck!!

    ReplyDelete