Sunday, November 8, 2009

Week One


LONG POST!!!

Hello blogging world! We have survived week one of parenthood!!! After our first night of only about an hour of sleep, little Miss Ellie has been an angel baby. We are in some form of a routine now with eating and sleeping. She is eating every 3 hours and we have to wake her up to eat. I really think she'd go 4 - 5 hours if we let her. Until she reaches her birth weight, we will continue with the every 3 hour feedings. Here is a recap of our first week -

Pediatrician Visit - we went to the pediatrician on Thursday and had a great visit. We visited with many pediatricians and feel great about our choice. Dr. Royal said Ellie looked fabulous and we'll go back in one month. Funny story - Ellie is a poop factory. In the first few days, she would poop before and after every feeding. We warned the nurse checking her temp (rectum), but Ellie surprised her with an explosion not once, but twice. The nurse had a great attitude about it, and said "as long as Ellie feels better"!



First Bath - Ellie's had a couple of baths (wash cloth wipe down). Since she's a poop factory, I knew she'd feel better clean. She lost her mind during the first bath, but did great with her second.


First Walk - the weather has been beautiful all week and I was dying to get out and get some sort of exercise so we ventured out for a quick walk around the neighborhood. Sophie really enjoyed this and tried to stay ahead of the stroller instead of beside the stroller... something we'll continue to work on.



Visitors - Ellie has been meeting lots of special people this week. The only visitor we missed a picture with was Jana. We get that during our December lunch! Thank you all for visiting with us, and the delicious goodies.








Newborn Pictures - Ellie had her newborn pictures taken on Friday, and slept the entire time. I can't wait to see the proofs. I was amazed at the photographer's creativity, patience, and love towards Ellie. I felt like I had found a new friend by the end of the session. She shared more than her talent with us on Friday.

Jay - I have to take a minute and brag on what an amazing dad Jay is. He has always loved children so I didn't doubt he'd be great, but great doesn't do him justice. From the minute we found out we were pregnant, he was with me every step of the way. He only missed 2 appointments during the pregnancy due to out of town work (and this included my bi-weekly appts from 28 weeks on). He attended every class including a breastfeeding class. He was Ellie's main caregiver during the first few days due to me being stuck in a hospital bed. I didn't change a single diaper until the day before we left the hospital only because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. His love for Ellie floors me. He is up during every feeding helping with diaper changes, burping, rocking, etc...







Date Night - Jay's mom watched Ellie last Thursday and we ventured out to grab a few things and dinner! Jay surprised me with my beautiful "push" present, and sushi (something I didn't eat a lot of during pregnancy). We didn't rush home, and enjoyed every minute of our time. We hope to do that again this week while my parents are in town. Our relationship is stronger than it's ever been. God is so good!

Jay's mom went back on Saturday, and my mom and dad are here for a few days this week and next week. We have loved having the help! I don't see how new moms and dads do this without the help. They are miracle workers with laundry, cooking, dishes, rocking, changing diapers, etc. We found the best part being able to take naps while they entertained Ellie.

I can't believe our miracle has been with us for a week... Our lives have been changed for the better and I really can't imagine life without her. I have always heard there is an instant love, and it is so true.




4 comments:

  1. What GREAT pics. I loved hearing about all of it! And, is that Millie with Lee at the end? Anyway, she looks just like YOU. What beautiful babies, especially Miss Ellie. I've been telling everyone that she doesn't even look like a newborn, but a beautiful doll! Can't wait to see her in person. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Kate! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, she is so cute!! She looks so tiny in that first picture. I am glad y'all are doing so well. When John Henry was a week old I was a complete mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, what a wonderful blessing she is! We cannot wait to meet you Miss Ellie. Love, Hunter, Ginny and William

    ReplyDelete