Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I have what???

Well, this is an unusual post for me... Nothing to report about sweet Ellie (except that she slept for 9 hours last night). This morning I was running around because I was heading to Auburn for the night. My schedule was not going as planned and Ellie was late to daycare this morning, meaning I would be late arriving to Auburn. I noticed when I put on lipstick that my lips felt funny, and they weren't rubbing together like they usually do. Oh well, I honestly thought I had gotten some zit cream in my mouth.

I dropped Ellie off, and was heading down 285 when I looked in my rear view mirror and smiled. Uh oh... something is wrong. The right side of my face didn't look like the left side. The right side didn't move. SCARY. I continued to try to smile at myself - no change. I calmly called Jay and explained my situation. His reply - TURN AROUND AND COME HOME. (he said he did notice that I was talking out of the left side of my mouth this morning but didn't say anything b/c he knew I was stressed). I called my GP to get checked out and felt crazy trying to explain it over the phone. Their response - Go straight to the ER. Okay - SCARY again. I talked to Jay all the way back up 285 and 75 until we both arrived at the ER.

I really felt crazy because I felt fine... no numbness (other than the right side of my tongue), no tingling, no headaches, nothing but my face looked a little funny when I smiled or talked. The sweet check-in girl in the ER took me immediately to a room (shocker)! After waiting an hour, the DR determined I had
Bells Palsy. Here is more information if you are interested... He said it could be caused by a virus and sometimes happens as a result of infections (upper respiratory, etc...). I haven't been sick, so I don't know where it's coming from. They went ahead with a CT scan just to check everything out. My head and brain looked good (thank you Lord), and I was sent home with 2 medications. He said the symptoms could get worse over the next 3 days, but most are fine after 6 weeks (if not sooner). So strange. My only pains are my right eye b/c it's not closing or blinking all the way so it's drying out. I am addicted to eye drops right now. Also, my right nostril is running...

So, I know this was probably boring to most of you, but I would like to hear if you or if you know of anyone that's had Bells Palsy...

7 comments:

  1. Hey! One of my third graders had it. But, she had a severe case of it that she still has. It sounds like yours is not as bad as hers. Call me if you want to talk!!! I'll keep you in my prayers.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy's teacher had it before Christmas, but it's gone now. It did take about a month though. She had the EXACT same symptoms as you. The docs told her the same thing, and that rest, rest, rest is best, best, best. So, make Jay do everything for you and rest as much as possible!! I love you and will be praying for you to get better.. Oh yeah, and Speedy from Rick & Bubba had it a few years ago too. I remember them talking about it on the air. Now, go to bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew someone whose son had it during a very stressful time? I always thought it was brought on by stress but I guess not. Bless your heart! I hope you can get some rest, girl! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Moms neighbor had it, same as you came on totally sudden...very scary! I hope you get to feeling better, i will keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is scary. Two of my friends' parents had it but it is gone now. I will prayer for a speedy recovery for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is bizarre kate! i'm sure you were so confused and surprised. i'm sorry you had to experience being scared and having to figure that out. sounds like they have it under control though and that you will feel back to normal soon. does it completely go away after a period of time? do you think it could have anything to do with being a postpardum thing?

    sending love and healing your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kate:) I stumbled upon your blog through another and was so glad to see your precious baby! I am so sorry about your Bells Palsy-I do know a couple of people who have had it, and it did go away in time. It was just uncomfortable for a little while! I pray you get well soon, if you haven't already:) Maggie

    ReplyDelete