Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bless her heart...

Well, I was hoping to post today about how we are all well and good to go. WRONG! I got a call this afternoon from Ellie's daycare and found out she was running a fever of 102.5. I thought we'd pick her up and treat her with Tylenol, but found out she did need to go back since it was above 100.4 and she's still so young... This is our 4th or 5th trip in the last month.

I was thinking the whole time that it was another ear infection. WRONG again! Ears were clear, chest was clear, and nose was clear. This meant something else was causing the fever. The next couple of hours might have been some of the hardest hours to date... I thought shots were bad. They had to do a catheter to rule out a UTI (negative), and draw blood to check for a bacterial infection. The catheter was not nearly as bad as drawing blood from her tiny arms and little veins. We were told our nurse was the best at this... She wasn't able to find Ellie's vein in the left arm, so we had to start all over in the right arm! BLESS HER HEART. She was purple from crying so hard, and sweating like a little pig. I thought Jay was going to lose his mind.

Her white blood cell count was high, so they are treating it as a bacterial infection for now. We will find out the results from the culture in a few days. Treating it means SHOTS! Yes, we had to end with a shot in her leg. One today, and another one tomorrow.

They told us it could just be a virus too, which means there is not much you can do but let it run its course. At this point, you begin thinking... I put my baby through ALL of that and it might only be a virus... But what if it's not, what if it's bacterial and we caught it early??? Oh, the questions and guilt that runs through your head.

Good news to report is that Ellie can sit up now! Not for long periods of time, but completely unassisted! She's had a couple of face plants, but she's learning!

Also, DOUBLE good news... She has slept 12 hours the last two nights!!! 7:30 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. YAHOO!!!

Pray for us and sweet Ellie!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Kate I am so sorry about Ellie having to go through all that! Macey had to go to the ER Friday night, and it was terrible to see people huring my baby. :( I hope she feels better soon, and I am really jealous about the sleeping. :)

    ReplyDelete