Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sewing 101


Well, I did it... I finally went to my first sewing class, and I wasn't bored! If you remember, I got a sewing/monogramming machine a few months back, and Jay gave me lessons for Mother's Day. I have spent a decent amount of money on having stuff monogrammed for Ellie, so I am really more interested in learning how to do monogramming and appliques but I figured I might learn the basics for sewing too. I was kind-of dreading going b/c I thought I might get bored or not be interested at all. I have signed up for 7 sewing classes between now and August. I hope I am able to post some projects when I am done!

Sewing 101 actually surprised me! I wasn't the only one that was clueless about sewing. I did take Home Ec, but all I remember doing in there was creating a recipe box. So, either I didn't listen or we didn't sew. My mom has always sewn, but it really didn't interest me at all until Ellie arrived.

Yesterday's class was an overview of learning how to use your machine, learning about the different parts/names of parts, what supplies (needles, thread, fabric) you use, cleaning your machine, and then we learned how to do some basic sewing (like sewing 2 pieces of fabric together with a straight seam and zigzag seam and how to turn corners)! I will post pictures later...

I go back in a couple of weeks for 102... I will let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad... all I remember from Home Ec was making taco salad. I think we made a pair of boxers at some point, but I probably got Alisha to do mine!
    Can't wait to see what you create!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete